Memorials to the men of Chaddesden who died during WW1
The parishioners of St Mary’s Church Chaddesden decided to create a permanent memorial in the form of a church hall at a cost of £2,000. It was to be built well back from Chaddesden Lane, exactly opposite the old home of the Wilmot Family. On the front was a white Calvary Cross with the names of the fallen underneath. There was a main hall 70ft x 24ft, a billiard room with one table 24ft x 19ft 6in and a reading room 19ft 6in x 16ft. The main hall was furnished with 140 chairs and 30 tables by parishioners subscribing to a table or chair, outside there were two tennis courts and a bowling green. The building was erected by Mr Shardlow of Stenson Road, Derby.
On Monday 2nd April 1923, following Easter Sunday, the unveiling, dedicating and opening was carried out in front of a large gathering. This included the Bishop of Derby, the Duke of Devonshire and Captain Drury-Lowe. The Duke of Devonshire unveiled the memorial stone and the Bishop of Derby dedicated the stone.
In memory of those of this church and village who fell in the Great War, 1914-1918
John William Davison
Albert John Fell
John Henson Hunt
“Rest eternal grant unto them, and let light perpetual shine upon them”
The War Memorial on Chaddesden Lane was erected as the result of a Public Meeting. At this meeting it was agreed that collections should be made for the erection of a war memorial on a piece of land given by Major J.D. Kerr. The tablet was provided by Mr Warren of Derby and the stonework was done by the villagers including Messrs B. Oldershaw, A. Bullock, A.E. Brown and Sergeant-major W. J. Wild who was secretary of the appeal.
On Sunday 16th September 1923, the memorial was unveiled by Major-General Straubenzee (Northern Midland Division, Sherwood Foresters) and dedicated by the Rev J. E. S. Hackforth, the vicar of the parish and hon. chaplain to the forces. The Annual Parish Meeting held in the Church War Memorial Hall on 12th March 1928 resolved, with the approval of the trustees, Lt Col Kerr, A. Oldershaw, J. H. Smith and J. Bullock that the Chaddesden Village War Memorial Shrine was handed over to the Chaddesden Parish Council (or other authority).
The men mentioned on this memorial are:
Davidson, John W*
Fell, Albert J*
Wilmot, H Cecil
Wilmot, Thos N., M.C.
The names are not exactly the same as those on the memorial on the Church War Memorial Hall.
Only those with an * appear on both memorials.
On Sunday 7th November 1920 this memorial, now located in Nottingham Road Cemetery, was unveiled at the original site on Nottingham Road, facing St Marks Road. Over 2,000 people attended the ceremony when Derby’s Mayor, Councillor A J Eggleston, unveiled the memorial. The memorial was of Hopton Wood stone and set in a recess of Staincliffe stone designed and worked by Messrs Beresford of Derby at a cost £200. This was raised by public subscription following a committee being formed by 1917. In the 1960s it was removed to Roe Farm Lane, outside the British Legion. In the 1990s it was moved to Nottingham Road Cemetery.
The names commemorated are:
Seaman Dent C., Sergt. Millington A., Cpl. Tocknell H.G., L-cpl. Dyer G., L-cpl. Mitchell P., L-cpl. Needham W., Gunr. Ayre C., Gunr. Day R. L., Pte. Allsop F., Pte. Applegate H.E., Pte. Beck S.M., Pte. Brooks A., Pte. Cook F., Pte. Coulson H.B., Pte. Denton A., Pte. Eyre S., Pte. Gamble W.A., Pte. Hancock W., Pte. Hirst W.H., Pte. Lee R.J., Pte. O’Brian J., Pte. Passey S.A., Pte. Parker R., Pte. Payne J.W., Pte. Rogers J., Pte. Tomlinson J.W., Pte. Walker F., Pte. Wilson G.E., Pte. Yeomans W., Cpl Taylor P.
Pte. Hancock W.W., Ist A/M Winfield A., Pte Ray A.C., Cpl Barradell H.
At this time many of the men would have regarded themselves as being Chaddesden men. Chaddesden Laceworks was on Nottingham Road and was a major employer in this area.
On 13th January 1926, the Cross of Sacrifice was unveiled in Nottingham Road Cemetery by what was then the Imperial War Graves Commissions, now the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. This is recognised as a Commonwealth War Graves Site.
One Chaddesden man who is buried there is Walter William Hancock, he died of his wounds at his home on 27th October 1918. He grew up on Nottingham Road, moved to Highfield Cottages whilst working for the Midland Railway, from here he joined the Sherwood Foresters. One of several workers from Chaddesden Sidings who died during the war. He is commemorated on the Chaddesden Hall memorial, the memorial to the “men of Nottingham Road” and the Midland Railway Memorial on Midland Road. This memorial was dedicated in December 1921 to the 2,833 men employed by Midland Railway who died. It was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, who designed the Cenotaph in London.
His grave has a CWGC headstone. Many families chose to have a family headstone, so it is not always easy to recognise what are official Commonwealth War Graves. Details can be obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site. Many men did not return home and families incorporated inscriptions on family graves. Photographs of the graves and inscriptions, recorded so far, can be found on the War Graves Photographic Project web site.
Chaddesden Park has a memorial to the those from Chaddesden who have fallen during conflicts. In a normal year the children from the local schools would place wreaths at the site. In 2020 they have been placed on their behalf.