Read about Chaddesden's history in the many articles that are listed on this page.
This map shows the extent of Field Farm as it was when the Chaddesden Estate was broken up and sold in 1918.
Wood Road can be seen running north-south on the eastern side of the farm. Field Lane, Morley Road and the Wilmot Arms also appear on the map. These are the only features to survive since the farm was sold for house building in 1936.
Chaddesden's Five Forgotten Railway Cottages
You may well be familiar with Highfield Cottages on Highfield Lane, which were originally built to provide accommodation for railway workers, but did you know that in this same part of the old village five other cottages (one alongside the Derby Canal and four on Meadow Lane) once served a similar purpose? Over the years many of their occupants would have worked at the nearby Chaddesden Sidings, but when much of the railway work was transferred away from Chaddesden the sidings quickly became surplus to requirements and all five properties were demolished leaving nothing behind to mark their site today.
Neil came to live in Chaddesden in the winter of 1964/65 just as he entered his teens. He loves Derbyshire and has twice lived in Cherry Tree Hill. Here he reminisces about Chaddesden Sidings, once such a prominent feature in the local landscape.
John William Burnett (1884-1949) of Hall Farm, Chaddesden
Rita M Bailey
John Burnett was a Derbyshire farmer's son. He moved to Field Farm, Chaddesden, around 1931, later taking over Hall Farm, and was the tenant of Racecourse Farm. He was a member of Chaddesden Parish Council and Shardlow Rural District Council. He left Chaddesden in 1946 and ended his days at Grove Farm, Lenton, Nottingham.
Boots first shop in Derby, at the junction of St Peter's Street and East Street, featured statues of Jededian Strutt, John Lombe, William Hutton and Florence Nightingale. It is now a listed building. In the 1930s a shop was opened on Nottingham Road, Chaddesden Lane End. Although Boots occupy neither of these original premises, they still have several branches in Derby.
The Oakridge Allotments
Prompted perhaps by the austerity of rationing in the Second World War, allotments became a popular and profitable form of recreation in Chaddesden. Until they were lost to building development in 1965, the Oakridge Allotments on the south side of Morley Road were used by local residents mainly for growing fruit and vegetables, although other allotment holders also kept rabbits, chickens, ducks and pigeons. A simple sketch plan of the allotments drawn up by Frank Cholerton many years ago provides an insight into the layout of the Oakridge plots in the 1950s or thereabouts.
Thomas Henry Anthony (1888-1980) began building houses in Chaddesden around 1927 using distinctive hollow concrete blocks that were manufactured at his own quarry in Stanley. Around 1935 Anthony went into partnership with Frederick Henry Turner of Burton Road, Derby. Trading as Anthony and Turner, the partnership bought a large building plot on the south side of Harvey Road, Allenton and this brochure describes mainly houses being built at Allenton. Anthony's own house appears on the front cover and a house on Morley Road, Chaddesden built for his daughter and son-in-law is on page nine. The partnership ended with the death of Turner in January 1938. The estate at Allenton was left incomplete and the Stanley quarry closed. No more Stanley block houses were built as cavity wall construction for brick walls was in widespread use by then, offering the same benefits of a warmer, dry house as the Stanley concrete block.
The Opening of the Colliery Tramway between Stanley and Chaddesden
A report from the Derby Daily Telegraph of the formal opening, on 20 November 1894, of the Derby Kilburn Colliery Company's cable-hauled tramway between Stanley Footrill Colliery and a wharf at Chaddesden. It was the longest cable-worked line in the UK at the time of opening, yet it had an operational life of little over twenty years and little remains on the ground to show that it existed.
The Convent of the Holy Name, Morley Road
Originally known as Chaddesden Moor House and built as a gentleman's residence in the first half of the nineteenth century, the property was home to a succession of well-to-do families (Wilmot, Heathcote, Bateman, Smith, Girardot, Whinyates and Craven) down the years. In 1922, Charles Arthur Carlin married Ethel Lilian Birkin, the daughter of Sir Thomas Birkin, a lace manufacturer, and the couple moved into the house, which they renamed as Moor Grange, or more simply, The Grange. A frequent visitor to their home was Prince Alexander Obolensky (1916–1940), who attended schools in Derbyshire. Mrs. Carlin's nursing background led to the couple transforming their home into a temporary Red Cross Hospital during the Second World War. In the 1950s the Carlins moved into a cottage in the grounds and gave their large house to a Roman Catholic order, the Sisters of the Presentation, who renamed it as the Presentation Convent Novitiate. By the late 1980s the sisters had sold the property to the Community of The Holy Name, an Anglican order, whose sisters decided in 2018 that it was now time for them to leave the area and move into smaller premises at Hessle in Yorkshire.
Rosalind Allen, Groundwork Derby & Derbyshire
Interviews with older residents who remembered Chaddesden before the Second World War.
Winding the Church Clock
Commissioned by Rev. Arthur Ellerton and installed in 1904, the turret clock mechanism of St. Mary's Church was made by John Smith & Sons of Derby and has been counting the hours and minutes at Chaddesden for well over a century.
Three luxury cinemas opened in Derby in 1938 and two of them were in Chaddesden.
The arrival of television in the 1950s led to falling audiences and their eventual closure.
Supermarkets now stand on the site of both.
In 2011 documentary evidence of a previously unknown watermill at Chaddesden was discovered. Situated on Lees Brook, the corn mill had fallen out of use by the early eighteenth century and in 1717 its site was acquired by William Turner, a Derby attorney, who already held the lease of a mill in Derby, although whether he intended to re-establish this Chaddesden watermill is not clear. Originally written in 2013 this article now has a postcript providing further information and photographs.
Meadow Lane is one of the oldest roads in Chaddesden, once crossing the Derby Canal by a hump-backed bridge. When the course of the canal was used as the route of the A52 Nottingham Road diversion, a concrete footbridge was built close to the site of the original bridge. The footbridge was demolished in 2019 to make way for a shared foot/cycle bridge, the main span of which was lifted into place on 30 May 2020.
Peter Cholerton and Vince Mills
Now just another one of Derby's vanished buildings, Cowsley House once stood on Nottingham Road a short distance outside the old Chaddesden parish boundary. A substantial property, it was home to a variety of different families over the years – Pountain, Aulton, Evans, Brayshaw, Bates and Kerry – and older residents of the area may still recall Cowsley Stores, which operated from the rear of the building and first opened its doors to the public in the 1940s.
Archery in Medieval Chaddesden
A group of roughly parallel vertical grooves in the stonework to the side of the main west door of St. Mary's Church was caused by generations of local men from the mid fifteenth century onwards sharpening their arrowheads prior to obligatory archery practice. A few hundred yards to the north of the church Butts Yard marks the approximate location of their targets.
In 1924 a road-improvement scheme close to the old Boundary House on Nottingham Road caused a landslip at the adjacent cemetery in which tons of earth fell down into the road, unfortunately exposing coffins and bones in the process. The article also takes a brief look at the unusual status of Boundary House itself ... half in Chaddesden and half in Derby.
A Celebration of Forty Years of Parish Life 1955 - 1995
Mayfield Road Methodist Church was opened in 1928, the first church for the new housing estates.
Formally opened on 3 April 1923, the Memorial Hall on Chaddesden Lane is still a much-used local venue.
Extracts from a notebook kept by William White of Meadow Farm, born 1827, farmer and land
surveyor, who emigrated to Australia and died in Melbourne in 1885.
Chaddesden's water was drawn from wells prior to the installation of water mains.
Refers to locations of many, now disused, wells, also the Derwent Valley Aqueduct which crosses the parish on its way to Leicester.
Remembrance Seat Unveiling 19 June 2019
Photos of the WW1 Remembrance Seat at the junction of Chaddesden Lane and Maine Drive.
Highfield House, Highfield Lane
George and William Wragge, sons of George and Maria Wragge of Chaddesden, who emigrated to Australia in 1852. George Wragge junior became Mayor of Melbourne in 1864-65.
A local gentleman was clearing out his garage when he unearthed a forgotten box of cricket memorabilia relating to the Chaddesden Cricket Club.
A J Bailey
A Chaddesden safe house for a criminal from Northern Ireland.
The sheepwash situated in Chaddesden Brook adjacent to Nottingham Road bridge
Derwent School Photographs
Programme for a play called ‘The Adventure of the Witch and her Cat’ and two class photographs from Cherry Tree Hill School in the late 1950’s or early 1960’s
A compilation of adverts for local businesses that featured in St. Mary's Church Parish Magazine in 1959.
The Royal Mail and post offices in Chaddesden
Long before the vast Oakwood estate was built, older residents of Chaddesden will remember the Sunnyside Cafe on Morley Road as being a relatively isolated property set amidst local farmland.
Peter Barnes / John Bennett
Saturday 21 July 2018 was the last day of operation of the number 11 bus through Chaddesden by Notts & Derby. Bus route 11 could be traced back over 90 years to the Felix Bus Service founded by local man Norman Frost, born at Stanley. Frost was apprenticed to a garage on leaving school but his apprenticeship was interrupted by the First World War.
Transport to work at the Stanley Footrill Colliery for coal miners from Chaddesden.
A miscellany of railway recollections.
Each spring the flowering cherry trees of Chaddesden Park Road provide a wonderful reminder that warmer days are on their way.
Enjoy this short photo tour taken on a Sunday morning in April 2011.
A look back at some of the local doctors in an era when appointments were not necessary – if you needed to see a doctor you simply went to the surgery and waited your turn.
An account of three inter-related mediaeval families who held land in Chaddesden for many generations, yet whose names – fitz Nicholas, Pipard, and de Twyford – will be unfamiliar to many people.
Enoch Stone was murdered in 1856 and his assailant(s) never brought to trial. He is commemorated today by a small memorial stone on Nottingham Road and also in the name of a nearby cul-de-sac.
The Engine Driver's Memorial
Revised article under preparation.
One of the better-known memorials in Nottingham Road Cemetery is this railwayman's epitaph in verse.
Revised article under preparation.
In 2015 Tony Bannister was awarded The Royal Television Society Lifetime Achievement Award. A talented graphic designer, he had attended Cherry Tree Hill Infant and Junior Schools.
Mrs. Eden moved to Chaddesden in the 1930s and for many years was a member of both Chaddesden Parish Council and Derbyshire County Council, and also found time to serve as a local magistrate.
Steve Garner, John Crosby
Conscription during the First World War was introduced in January 1916, initially targeting single men aged 18-41. Within a few months it was also rolled out for married men.
In The Skies Over Chaddesden
Peter Felix, Derbyshire Historical Aviation Society
Over the years there has been much conjecture about the circumstances of the Wellington bomber that crashed at nearby Stanley one Sunday evening in 1942. Here is an account of this tragic accident.
Stanley Crash, for the technically minded
Technical specifications about the type of Wellington bomber that crashed at Stanley in 1942.
Rev. Basil Denno
An account of the dramatic events of 12 December 1940 when two bombs fell in Chaddesden and caused considerable damage.
Well-known local author and playwright, Don Shaw, recounts his wartime childhood in Chaddesden and the day a bomb fell in Chaddesden Park.
Second World War air raid shelters in Chaddesden.
Revd Basil Denno
German prisoner of war buried at Nottingham Road Cemetery following an unfortunate accident in a quarry near Buxton.
6016 Pte Rivers J. was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions in WW1 at the Battle of Neuve Chapelle on 12 March, 1915. A native of Derby, he served as a Private with the 1st Battalion, Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment).
Paul W Morgan
The origin of the British Cellulose and Chemical Manufacturing Company factory at Spondon.
Two Royce cranes in Derby: at the Rolls – Royce Heritage Trust on Osmaston Road
and at Draka Cables, Alfreton Road.
Visit to special event at the Tower of London.