A selection of images from our collection.
Chaddesden Park Hotel
Nottingham Road / Chaddesden Lane
The Wilmot Arms was Chaddesden's only public house during the first part of the twentieth century. In February 1930, Altons & Co, brewery of Derby, announced plans to build a new pub on land that had been part of Chaddesden Park. The middle of the Great Depression was not the obvious time to open a new public house. In justification of their plans, Altons stated that 705 houses had been built in Chaddesden in the preceding six years and the Wilmot Arms, 950 yards away, had doubled its business and was becoming inadequate for the licensed trade of the district.
The proposed hotel was intended to cater for motorists as well as local residents. It would have a car park and be set back from Nottingham Road in anticipation of the widening of that road to 100 feet (a dual carriageway) as well as being near the junction of a new arterial road (Sunny Grove was the first part of a new road to the centre of Spondon, although never completed).
The new house was built to the design of the architect, T.H. Thorpe, in a Tudor style, similar to that of the nearby houses. It was built by Derby builders, W. Ford and Sons at a cost of £11,000 and opened in December 1931.
As originally laid out, the entrance hall led to a lounge, 30 x 18 feet (9 x 5.5 metres). On one side was the Tudor Room, on the other, the dining room with panelled walls and a polished oak floor. A separate entrance led to the largest room, the Assembly Room, 36 x 19 feet (11 x 5.8m).
[Derby Daily Telegraph, 18 December 1931]
There have been several changes of name and ownership over the years. From January 1972 it was Beau Brummel, then The Park, then Rosie O'Brien's Pumphouse from 1992, and is now branded simply as Toby Carvery, although local residents still use the original name, The Park Hotel.
Footrills, Derby Road, Stanley
Some of the buildings of the former Stanley Footrill Colliery survive over a hundred years after the colliery closed.
The office is now a private house. Viewed here from Derby Road.
Date stone set in the chimney - DKCC AD 1890
DKCC was the Derby Kilburn Colliery Company.
Royal Visit to Chaddesden – 28 March 1957
Her Majesty, the Queen, and His Royal Highness, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh visited Repton School and several establishments in Derby starting with the Royal Crown Derby works on Osmaston Road where a presentation was made. The royal party, together with local dignitaries and clergy, then travelled along Nottingham Road to Chaddesden.
Jennifer Guy remembers: As a child, I lived in Chaddesden Lane, opposite the entrance to the Scout Hut between about 1950 and 1964. Perhaps the most vivid memory was when Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh came down the Lane. We sat on the top of a 6 foot stone wall that then existed on the right of 105 Chaddesden Lane and we got quite a few waves from both Royals.
Local historian Peter Cholerton says that one of his earliest memories of Chaddesden is standing on a wall at the junction of Wood Road and Max Road to watch the royal procession pass. Many people camped out on the land adjoining St Philip's vicarage on Taddington Road and waited eagerly for the procession to appear.
Arrangements had been made for Her Majesty to visit the new church of St Philip's and give royal approbation to the work that was being done. The choir, fully robed, waited in a line along the pathway outside the tower of the church. The Queen and the royal party were welcomed to the church by the Vicar, the Rev Alfred Conway, and were conducted around the interior. To commemorate the visit, Mrs Rawlinson, wife of the Bishop of Derby, planted a tree in the church grounds on the following Saturday
Above: The original Chaddesden Library in Chaddesden Park. The Age UK building, which still stands, can be seen on the right
Below: Revive Healthy Living Centre, Roe Farm Lane. This building contains a clinic and Derwent Library, opened on 4 March 2007 and seen by some as a replacement for an earlier library on Wollaton Road.
Two views of the crocuses at the Nottingham Road entrance to Chaddesden Park taken on 28 February 2021.
Below: a photograph taken at the same location in the 1930s. The Nottingham Tudor style houses in this area are the work of Stapleford builder, Harry Wormald Moult. The numerous poles are "traction poles" that carried the overhead line for the trolleybuses to Spondon.